Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sew it Together

On Saturday I went to the Sew it Together event in Sydney. I only found out about this event recently and was so glad I went. So much fun to be in a room full of other people who like to craft and sew and talk about fabrics!

I started making a door stop at the Sew it Together (SIT) workshop and am pleased to say I finished it!! As I was leaving Leah said - put it on your blog - so I credit her with the inspiration to finish my doorstop house - thank you Leah.

Whilst I am pleased to have it finished there are a couple of issues - firstly I think it is a little overstuffed! Secondly it is not quite heavy enough to be a truly effective doorstop. However having just finished it I think I will enjoy that for a while before renovating!

Also just wanted to put a really big Thank you out there to Sheridan of chaletgirl for organising the weekend - no doubt it was a lot of work - but a truly awesome event!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Buttons Buttons Buttons

I found a huge bag of buttons very cheaply in one of the bargain bins at a craft store. I sorted through them and found some pretty blues, greens, grey, white and clear ones that looked nice together. I strung them all on a string - does not seem to matter if some have four holes and some have two... here is my very simple button necklace.

Not the best photo - but you'd be surprised how difficult it is to take a picture of yourself in the mirror with one hand and keep your shirt and the necklace looking OK!!

Monday, March 21, 2011

Children's notice boards

I had some old magnetic boards lying around that were in desperate need of a face lift!

One I decoupaged in some fun paper from Kikki K to match these transport magnets.

The other one is covered in fabric. I made the magnets from fabric covered buttons. So easy and so much more interesting than plain white boards!

Monday, March 7, 2011

Applique Name Towel

I recently appliqued this towel for my daughter and it was surprisingly simple.

I chose a font from 'Word' (this one is Cooper Standard Black, of course, you could choose any font from any application). Then I sized it for the towel and printed it (in black outline to save ink!).

I cut out the paper letters and traced them onto my chosen fabrics, ironed some double sided fusible webbing onto the back of the fabric and then cut out the letters.

I ironed the letters onto the towel and then stitched around the outside of the letters in a small tight zig-zag stitch. This was probably the most difficult or fiddly part and would also depend a lot on the font you chose.

I have not done much machine applique work before - but the fusible webbing makes the process so simple. With all the beautiful fabrics around - as they say - the only limit is your imagination.